Dramatic video shot on a telephone from the bottom confirmed the final moments earlier than the crash of the airplane carrying 72 folks.
A passenger airplane carrying 72 folks crashed within the Nepalese metropolis of Pokhara on Sunday, with no less than 68 folks confirmed lifeless to this point.
Particles from the airliner was strewn throughout the crash web site, together with the crushed stays of passenger seats and the airplane’s white-coloured fuselage because the seek for survivors continued on Monday.
Here’s what we all know to this point:
The place did the airplane crash?
- The ATR 72 plane operated by Yeti Airways was travelling to Pokhara from the capital, Kathmandu, on a scheduled 27-minute flight.
- It crashed minutes earlier than touchdown at Pokhara Worldwide Airport, inaugurated simply two weeks in the past.
- Pokhara, some 200km (125 miles) west of Kathmandu, is a bustling vacationer city and gateway to the scenic Annapurna mountain vary.
- A dramatic video shot on a telephone from the bottom confirmed the final moments earlier than the airplane plunged right into a gorge about 1.6km (a mile) from the brand new airport.
Who was on board?
- The plane was carrying 72 folks, together with 4 crew members.
- The folks on board included 57 Nepalis, 5 Indians, 4 Russians, two South Koreans and one particular person every from Argentina, Eire, Australia and France.
- With 68 folks confirmed lifeless, the destiny of 4 others nonetheless stays unknown, however native officers don’t anticipate finding any survivors.
Why did it crash?
- The rationale for the crash stays unclear to this point.
- It occurred amid gentle and non-windy climate.
- Rescuers and searchers have retrieved each the cockpit voice recorder and flight knowledge recorder from the airplane.
- Each units have been in fine condition and will probably be despatched for evaluation primarily based on the advice of the producer, officers mentioned.
- The info on the recorders are possible to assist investigators decide the reason for the crash.
- Chatting with Al Jazeera, former pilot Terry Tozer mentioned the plane may have “stalled”.
- “That’s an aerodynamics thaw when the pace is just too low and one of many wings stops flying,” he added. “In idea that ought to by no means occur. If that they had a sudden engine failure after takeoff, they need to have been capable of proceed on the remaining engine.”
- The kind of airplane concerned, the ATR 72, has been utilized by airways around the globe for brief regional flights. Launched within the late Nineteen Eighties by a French and Italian partnership, the plane mannequin has been concerned in a number of lethal accidents through the years.
- In Taiwan, two accidents involving ATR 72-500 and ATR 72-600 plane in 2014 and 2015 led to the planes being grounded for a interval.
What has been the response?
- Nepal’s Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal referred to as an emergency cupboard assembly following the crash.
- “The incident was tragic. The total pressure of the Nepali military, police has been deployed for rescue,” Dahal mentioned.
- The federal government has additionally fashioned an investigation panel and introduced a day of nationwide mourning on Monday.
- In the meantime, South Korea’s international ministry mentioned it was nonetheless making an attempt to substantiate the destiny of two South Korean passengers and has despatched employees to the scene.
- Australian Treasurer Jim Chalmers advised reporters the federal government was offering consular help to the household of an Australian who was aboard the airplane.
- The crash is Nepal’s deadliest since 1992, when all 167 folks aboard a Pakistan Worldwide Airways airplane have been killed when it plowed right into a hill because it tried to land in Kathmandu.