Flip leftover turkey into a completely new meal with this turkey pot pie recipe. Greens and cooked turkey come collectively in a creamy herbed gravy, and it’s all topped with a buttery golden pie crust. This base recipe may be personalized to your liking with elements you might have available, and you should utilize pre-cut, leftover, or frozen greens to avoid wasting time. Most consolation meals for minimal effort!
Each fall season, I attempt to discover a number of recipes to make use of up leftover cooked turkey or rooster. (You recognize, after we’ve had our fill of turkey sandwiches!!) Pot pie normally involves thoughts first as a result of it’s at all times a satisfying, crowd-pleasing selection.
Why You’ll Love This Turkey Pot Pie
- Satisfying all-in-one meal
- Simple flavorful gravy, comprised of primary pantry elements
- An effective way to make use of up leftover cooked turkey (or rooster)—use mild or darkish meat or a mixture
- Use the steered greens, or swap them to your favorites
- Use frozen, pre-cut, or leftover greens to avoid wasting time
- Prime with flaky buttery pie crust, or use store-bought pie dough
Begin With Pie Crust
Earlier than the filling, have your pie crust ready and able to go. I like utilizing this home made pie crust, a dough comprised of each butter AND shortening to yield the flakiest, most tender crust. This turkey pot pie recipe makes use of simply 1 disc of pie dough, so for those who made my home made pie crust recipe to your pumpkin pie, pecan pie, or French silk pie, you’ll have 1 leftover for at present’s pot pie!
You may make the dough as much as 5 days upfront.
Listed here are another crust choices:
- Retailer-bought: Use 1 sheet/disc of store-bought pie crust.
- All-butter crust: For a home made crust with out shortening, strive my all butter pie crust.
- Double crust: For those who’d prefer to make a double crust turkey pot pie, comply with the meeting and cooking instructions from my double crust rooster pot pie. However, actually, I don’t suppose you’ll miss the underside crust in at present’s model.
- Biscuits: Swap the pie crust for the straightforward biscuit topping used on this biscuit vegetable pot pie recipe.
Can I exploit puff pastry? You need to use thawed store-bought puff pastry as a substitute of a high pie crust. Nevertheless, needless to say the underside of the dough (that touches the filling) normally finally ends up tasting soggy. For that purpose, it’s an choice I normally skip when making pot pie. Biscuits are an incredible various to pie crust, see my biscuit vegetable pot pie!
Components in Turkey Pot Pie Filling (& Substitutions)
Immediately’s filling is just like my flavor-forward and additional hearty vegetable pot pie. You want:
- Butter: Like a lot of our baked items, the filling begins with butter. Butter provides taste and, together with flour, helps the gravy-like filling correctly thicken.
- Vegetable Base: Chopped onion, celery, and carrots are a standard flavorful base to many sauces and soups, together with creamy rooster noodle soup. In at present’s recipe, I additionally add mushrooms. Be happy to make use of extra of 1 and fewer of one other, to fit your tastes, and for those who want to skip the mushrooms, substitute with extra vegetable add-ins as famous under.
- Garlic: I normally use 3 cloves of garlic, however you should utilize 4 for additional taste.
- Flour: Flour thickens the gravy filling.
- 4 Important Seasonings: Taste the filling with salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. For those who don’t have rosemary, use extra thyme; or just a little sage can be tasty.
- Turkey or Rooster Inventory/Broth: Use broth and complete milk because the liquids in at present’s filling. In case you have turkey broth or inventory, go forward and use that. Or use rooster.
- Complete Milk: I normally use complete milk in pot pie fillings. For those who want a nondairy milk suggestion, I like to recommend plain unsweetened oat milk or almond milk.
- Vegetable Add-ins: Right here’s the place you may have numerous enjoyable by including the greens you’re keen on most or have available. I normally use frozen peas. As an alternative of peas, you should utilize contemporary or frozen chopped broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, leeks, bell peppers, inexperienced beans, butternut squash, and/or contemporary/frozen/canned corn. No have to thaw or prepare dinner these greens earlier than utilizing, but when they’re already cooked, that’s advantageous too. Simply add them in!
- Cooked Turkey…
Use Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey
Use cooked turkey, which is particularly handy after a Thanksgiving meal. After the leftover-Thanksgiving-sandwich-eaters have had their fill of the bigger slices, go forward and use 3 cups of chopped/shredded turkey within the filling. You need to use mild or darkish meat, or a mixture of each.
(By the best way, if the thought of getting again within the kitchen to prepare dinner one other dinner is lower than interesting after a vacation meal, let me reassure you: this all-in-one meal is straightforward to organize.)
Can I exploit cooked rooster as a substitute? Sure, be happy to substitute.
These Step-by-Step Images Will Assist
After the bottom veggies and butter prepare dinner collectively, add flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. (Main taste constructing is occurring throughout these essential steps!) Under, left: The bottom of the pot pie filling. Under, proper: After including the flour & herbs.
After the flour soaks up the moisture from the cooked greens, add the broth and complete milk. Let all the things simmer and thicken on the range, till the sauce has a thick gravy-like consistency.
Then you definitely’ll add the cooked turkey and your vegetable add-in. (Peas, on this case.)
Your filling is finished! ↓ Let it cool for 10 minutes, after which pour it right into a 9-inch pie dish:
Assemble Pie Dough & Bake
Roll out your pie dough and lay over the filling. Tuck the overhanging dough beneath and meld it into itself, to make a thick crust edge across the pot pie. Flute edges along with your fingers or crimp with a fork. Reduce slits within the high for steam vents, after which brush on an egg wash earlier than baking.
To make your egg wash, combine 1 egg with 1 Tablespoon of milk (handy since you simply used milk within the filling!). The egg wash provides the crust its golden, glistening sheen.
FAQ: Can I Add Potatoes?
Sure. I like to recommend including 1 cup peeled and chopped potato (or candy potato) if you add the broth. To make room for this addition, take away the mushrooms or 1 cup of vegetable add-ins on the finish.
FAQ: How one can Thicken the Turkey Pot Pie Filling
This can be a good, hearty, and satisfying turkey pot pie filling as a result of we take the time to let the gravy simmer on the range. The flour soaks up the greens’ moisture, and when paired with the milk, helps create that easy and creamy base. Keep away from half-and-half and heavy cream as a result of each are too heavy… and also you’ll be consuming a brick beneath that pie crust!
FAQ: How Can I Make Smaller Turkey Pot Pies?
In case you have smaller pie dishes or oven-safe 8-ounce ramekins, you may spoon the filling into every and high with smaller pie crust circles. Reduce the pie dough into circles about 1 inch bigger than the diameter of your ramekins/smaller pie dishes. The bake time will probably be shorter than the full-size model, and that point actually relies on the precise measurement of your mini turkey pot pies. When the crust is golden brown on high and the filling is effervescent by way of the steam vents, they’re performed.
This hearty turkey pot pie makes use of 1 pie crust because the topping and loads of scrumptious greens and cooked turkey within the creamy gravy filling. See the recipe Notes for vegetable substitutions and different ingredient ideas.
- A minimum of 2 hours forward, make the pie dough: Make the pie crust by way of step 5 in line with my instructions and video tutorial in my pie crust recipe. Make pie dough upfront as a result of it wants to relax within the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours earlier than rolling out (step 3). The recipe makes 2 crusts, and also you solely want 1 for this pie, so save the opposite for one other pie.
- Make the filling: Soften the butter in a big skillet or pot over medium warmth. Add the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and garlic. Prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, for five minutes or till greens have softened and launched some liquid. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary till flour has absorbed all of the liquid. Stir within the broth and milk. Simmer for 7–8 minutes or till thickened right into a gravy consistency. Stir within the frozen peas and turkey, after which take away from warmth. Style and add extra salt & pepper, thyme, or rosemary to style, if desired. Cool for 10 minutes at room temperature. (Or as much as 1 day. Cowl and retailer within the fridge if making 1 day forward.) After it has cooled for a minimum of 10 minutes, switch the filling to a 9-inch pie dish.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
- Roll out the chilled pie crust: Take away 1 disc of pie dough from the fridge. On a calmly floured work floor utilizing a calmly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out into an 11- or 12-inch circle. Be certain to show the dough a couple of quarter flip after each few rolls. Rigorously lay dough over high of the filling. Trim dough edges so there’s solely about an inch of overhang. Fold the overhanging dough beneath, melding it into itself to type a thick edge crust. Crimp the perimeters with a fork or flute the perimeters along with your fingers.
- Reduce slits within the high to make steam vents. Frivolously brush the highest of the pie crust with the egg wash.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes or till the highest of the crust is golden brown. After 20 minutes of baking, you’ll want to cowl the perimeters of the crust with aluminum foil or use a pie crust protect to forestall the perimeters from getting too brown. (See this publish on the greatest instruments for baking pies for directions on methods to make a pie crust protect out of foil.)
- Take away from the oven and permit to chill for five minutes earlier than serving. Leftovers preserve properly within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. Reheat as desired.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: Filling may be ready 1 day upfront. Cowl and chill within the fridge as famous in step 2. After chilling, set out on the counter for a minimum of Half-hour earlier than persevering with with step 3. You can even put together and freeze the filling for as much as 3 months. Thaw at room temperature earlier than overlaying with crust and baking. The pie crust dough may be made forward of time and saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than utilizing. Baked and cooled pot pie may be frozen as much as 3 months. Thaw after which reheat, lined with foil, in a 300°F (149°C) oven for 20-Half-hour or till warmed by way of.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Rolling Pin | Pie Dish or Glass Pie Dish | Pastry Brush | Pie Crust Protect
- Pie Crust: Each linked pie crust recipes make 2 crusts. You solely want 1 crust for this pie, so freeze the second half for an additional pie. You can even use store-bought pie dough.
- Can I exploit puff pastry? You need to use thawed store-bought puff pastry as a substitute of a high pie crust. Nevertheless, needless to say the underside of the dough (that touches the filling) normally finally ends up tasting soggy. For that purpose, it’s an choice I normally skip when making pot pie. Biscuits are an incredible various to pie crust, although. You need to use the biscuit topping from this biscuit vegetable pot pie.
- Mushrooms: Be happy to skip the mushrooms if desired. Add one other 1 cup of vegetable add-in, see recipe Word under.
- Milk: Use complete milk and keep away from lower-fat milks as a result of the gravy/filling is not going to thicken as a lot. Plain unsweetened almond milk or oat milk work if a dairy-free various is required. Don’t use half-and-half or heavy cream as a result of each are too thick.
- Vegetable Add-ins: Be happy to skip the peas and change with contemporary or frozen chopped broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, leeks, bell peppers, inexperienced beans, butternut squash, and/or contemporary/frozen/canned corn. No have to thaw or prepare dinner these greens earlier than utilizing, but when they’re already cooked, that’s advantageous too. Simply add them in! If additionally skipping the mushrooms, use 2 cups of vegetable add-ins.
- Smaller Particular person Pot Pies: In case you have smaller pie dishes or 8 oven-safe 8-ounce ramekins, you may spoon the filling into every and high with smaller pie crust circles. Reduce the pie dough into circles about 1 inch bigger than the diameter of your ramekins/smaller pie dishes. The bake time will probably be shorter than the full-size model, and that point actually relies on the precise measurement of your mini turkey pot pies. When the crust is golden brown on high and the filling is effervescent by way of the steam vents, they’re performed. Chances are you’ll want greater than 1 disc of pie dough because the filling:crust ratio modifications when utilizing smaller dishes.
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a number of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.