In keeping with a press launch, 2022 offered many challenges to Texans from inflation and provide chain points to an growing variety of insurance coverage claims.
The motor membership reported a 12% enhance in total claims for 2022 in comparison with 2021.
Whereas all vehicle insurance coverage claims aren’t avoidable, most are by driving defensively and following easy suggestions.
Rear-Finish Collisions/Fender Benders
Rear-end collisions/fender benders remained the highest declare by AAA Texas members.
The motor membership stated these made up 18% of all auto insurance coverage claims AAA Texas processed in 2022.
Many instances, these crashes could be the results of distracted driving.
To keep away from being concerned in a rear-end collision or fender bender, AAA Texas recommends:
- Put down your telephone and keep centered on the highway. Taking your eyes off the highway for simply two seconds doubles your danger for a crash.
- Ask passengers for assist or pull over if you should learn or write a textual content message.
- Activate Do Not Disturb in your sensible telephone whereas driving.
- AAA Texas encourages drivers to take the pledge to finish distracted driving by visiting aaa.com/dontdrivedistracted.
Crashes involving backing a automobile up made up 9% of all auto insurance coverage claims processed in 2022, AAA Texas stated.
Whereas again up sensors and cameras can be found on a higher variety of autos, the sensors that make these programs useful are ceaselessly positioned in susceptible areas like bumpers.
Drivers can observe these tricks to cut back their danger of being concerned in a back-up collision.
- Drive slowly and obey all site visitors and directional indicators.
- Keep away from shortcuts equivalent to reducing throughout parking lanes and rows of parking spots.
- Look ahead to pedestrians and different autos when slowly backing up and don’t depend on backup cameras alone.
- Be additional alert for babies, pets, and fogeys pushing child strollers in parking heaps.
AAA Texas reported there was an 11.6% enhance in accidents throughout lane adjustments and navigating intersections that resulted in side-impact crashes in 2022.
Many of those crashes are related to distracted driving.
Some issues to think about as you try to alter lanes or method an intersection are:
- As you method the intersection be ready to cease when the sunshine adjustments to yellow. Crashes ceaselessly happen at intersections when two events drive aggressively to beat a lightweight or make a fast left flip.
- When trying a left flip, by no means assume the oncoming automobile is conscious that you’re there or will be capable of gradual to keep away from an affect.
- If you’re conscious of a very hazardous intersection, it could be greatest to keep away from all of it collectively. Taking a barely longer detour could cut back your publicity to a loss and cut back stress!
- Automobiles seen in your mirror could also be nearer than they seem. Be sure to not solely think about the space but additionally the velocity of the automobile within the lane you are trying to occupy.
Many crashes in Texas may very well be prevented if extra drivers obeyed the velocity restrict.
Analysis by the AAA Basis for Visitors Security discovered that even modestly larger speeds on the time of a crash dramatically enhance the possibilities of extreme harm and dying, in addition to cancel out the advantages of auto security options.